First Steps toward PJP Master Facility Plan
Earlier this week, a Request For Proposal (RFP) went out to four architecture firms as the first step in the process to create a Facility Master Plan for Pope John Paul II High School. The Master Plan is a high priority for PJPII stakeholders, who listed it as Priority #2 for School Vitality Goals. A brief timeline and highlights of the RFP are listed below.
- Submission of Proposals - Wednesday, October 16, 2019
- Presentation to Committee - November 2019
- Completion of Facility Master Plan Document - Spring 2020
- Review the condition of all aspects of the school facilities including architectural, mechanical and electrical components.
- Note life-safety features required for a school building renovation exceeding 50% of the building’s value.
- Establish priorities for school wished-for projects as well as facility needs.
- Address requirements for school to remain in session during the first phase.
- School recommendations for consideration to be incorporated into the master plan (subject to revision after meeting with the school administration and facilities committee):
- Provide a new school entrance on corner of Jaguar & Yaupon, potentially as a new stadium front with a chapel inside
- Establish an inviting and homogeneous exterior physical presence, cover exposed metal panels
- Add a physics lab and update existing labs
- Add a media center, with media production capabilities
- Add a band room
- Identify energy-saving measures - HVAC, lighting, windows, insulation, etc.
- Update and expand the cafeteria/auditorium
- Update the gymnasium
- Update the exterior athletic facilities and add a track
- Add a field house/weight room
- Update conference room / St. John Paul II showcase
- Update main office entrance
- Revise parking lot and driveways for safer morning drop off and afternoon dismissal
- Develop a phasing plan