THE CATHOLIC VALUE OF CHRISTIAN SERVICE
- STEWARDSHIP TO CHURCH, SCHOOL, & COMMUNITY -
“I have come not to be served but to serve”
- Jesus of Nazareth.
The king will say to those on his right: “Come. You have my father’s blessing! Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me. I was ill and you comforted me, in prison and you came to visit me... as often as you did it for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did it for me.”
-Matthew 25: 34-36, 40
Note to parents: A fundamental aspect of faith development is service. In addition to full partici- pation in school sponsored service projects, ALL Pope John Paul II Catholic High School students are required to individually involve themselves in a variety of service activities within their church, local community, or school. Required service hours are factored into theology grades and full completion is a requirement for graduation with a PJP diploma.
These activities should serve the needs of the church and the society, especially the needs of the poor, sick, elderly, and young children. It should be noted that a minimum of 50% of the stu- dent’s required service hours must be performed within the church community. Although Pope John Paul II High School is a Catholic institution, any service hours performed here are NOT deemed Church service hours. In addition, this brochure explains the philosophy of our service program, as well as lists the requirements. It is strongly recommended that students complete their individual service requirements during the summer. Thank you for your interest and cooperation in teaching our students the importance of the Catholic value of Christian Service as demonstrated in service to church and community.
Minimum Yearly Requirements: Yearly Total:
8th Grade: 20 (10 church)
Freshmen: 30 (15 church)
Sophomores: 30 (15 church)
Juniors: 30 (15 church)
Seniors: 30 (15 church)
- DEADLINE FOR ALL REQUIRED SERVICE HOURS: END OF 3RD QUARTER
- SERVICE HOURS ARE ASSESSED AS: TWO TEST GRADES IN THE 4TH QUARTER
The following service (stewardship) activities are allowed:
All other service (stewardship) activities must have the approval of the theology teacher 4 weeks prior to the deadline. . .
Stewardship to the Church Community:
- full-time altar-server, choir member, active participant in church youth ministry program
- mission projects / pro life projects / social justice projects within the church community
- training programs designed to improve one’s spirituality within the church or archdiocese
- teacher or teacher’s aid in a theology classes
- clerical / maintenance worker in a church
- church fund raising projects
- any service or project approved by the pastor of the church
Stewardship to the Local Community (not for profit, non-political agency):
- community fund raising projects
- volunteer work with the poor, sick, elderly, or young kids within an institutional setting
- hospital or nursing home volunteer / coach of a community sporting team or dance team / work with Boys’ or Girls’ Clubs / clerical or maintenance worker in a non-profit, community center
- blood donations
Stewardship to the School Community:
*please note that service hours performed for Pope John Paul II High School are deemed as community hours, not Church hours.*
- school projects designated by the administration / school functions on a volunteer basis, and not part of the regular school, clubs, or sports responsibility
- pro life projects / social justice projects / mission projects
- liturgical / religious / retreat programs and preparations within the school, school liturgical choir
- special voluntary tutoring on a prolonged, regular basis requested by a teacher or a parent
What documentation is needed to receive full credit?
An official letter on the cooperating organization/school/church’s letterhead must be turned in with the following components:
- DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE
- NUMBER OF HOURS COMPLETED
- SUPERVISOR’S NAME
- ADDRESS OF PLACE OF SERVICE
- OFFICE NUMBER
- ALTERNATE CONTACT NUMBER
- SIGNATURE OF SUPERVISOR
- PICTURE OF SERVICE BEING COMPLETED.
If the service being performed is for Pope John Paul II High School, a photograph is NOT NEEDED. All non-PJP events must have a photograph of the service being performed attached to the letterhead to receive full credit. Also, please note that any service performed for PJP must be on the NEW PJP letter- head that will only be administered by the Theology teachers and/or PJP event coordinators.
In addition, a 3-4 paragraph reflection on the student’s service hours will be written during the final exam.
- A minimum of 50% of all service hours must be performed within the church community.
- All community service hours must be with a non-profit, non-political agency, or institution.
All school sponsored service projects will be part of a PJP school day, and full attendance by the student is expected.